A gift card is one of the best ways you can consider to give money to your friends or relatives without an envelope of cash. even if you consider gifting a gift card, the question is what kind of gift card would you give as a gift to your friend or relative on his/her birthday? from my own opinion, Amex gift card is actually a good option to go with.
This gift card is popularly used as a monetary gift. You first of all need to load it with a fixed amount such as $50 or $100. Given the fact that an American Express gift card looks like a credit card or debit card, you can easily link it to your bank account.
Once you have linked Amex gift card to bank account, transferring money from American Express gift card becomes easy.
If you have long been looking for a way to transfer your Amex gift card balance to bank account, then do not worry any longer cause I will show you in this article how to transfer money from American Express Gift card to bank account.
Table of Contents
What is an AMEX Gift Card?
American Express, widely known as AMEX gift card, is a prepaid card loaded with some amount of U.S dollars. Their gift card exist in several denominations ($25, $50, $100, $200 and $500) so getting your preferred gift card will not be an issued to you. You can obtain an Amex gift card in nearly every store and retail outlet in the United States.
The good thing is that Amex gift cards are accepted by some stores online inside and outside of America.
More to that, there are several money transfer apps that accept American Express, and adding your Amex gift card to a money transfer app will improve the flexibility of your funds.
How to Register AMEX Gift Card?
Before you can using or transferring Amex gift card to bank account, you need to register it first. Once registered, it will be activated and ready for use. Below is the process involved if you want to activate your AMEX gift card:
- Call Amex gift card support at 1-877-297-4438.
- Read them the Amex Gift card number and security code.
- Your call will then be redirected to another representative who will ask for the billing address.
- From here now, your Amex gift card is associated to your name and address.
- Now your card is verified and activated. You can use it for your various purchases.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Do not forget to keep your Amex card information in a safe place. The necessary information are; gift card number, 4 Digit identification code found at the front side of the card, Card security code found at the back side and customer service phone number.
Can I Transfer Money From American Express Gift Card to Bank Account?
ALSO READ: How To Cash Out American Express Gift Card
How to Transfer Money From AMEX Gift Card to Bank Account
As I earlier said in this article, there is no direct way which one can use to transfer funds from Amex gift card to bank account. But below are some alternative ways which you can use to make a successful transfer.
1. Via Square Reader Payment
Square payment is a legit platform that lets gift card users to make Point of Sale (POS) payments. For this reason, a Square and account is needed and your bank account must be linked to it. You might to purchase s Square reader from Amazon in order to swipe.
From there, you can swipe your gift card over the square reader and then transfer the desired amount of money you want. Now getting the money to your bank account becomes easy. It is necessary you have in mind that Square payment charges 2.75%.
In order to start transferring with Square, you first of all have to create a free Square account and then add your gift card. Follow the steps below to do this.
- Login to Square account.
- Press "Cash".
- Press "Withdraw".
- Use "Gift Card" option as withdrawal.
- Enter any amount to withdraw from gift card.
- Click on "Withdraw".
- It will take 1-2 business days for your funds to be transferred to bank account.
2. Via Cash App
Do not forget that money cannot be transferred from the American Express gift card to Cash App account directly, you need to add it first as a payment method.
How to add Amex Gift Card to Cash App
Below are the steps you can follow in order to add Amex gift card or any other credit/debit card to Cash app. You might want to know about online stores that accept Cash App.
- Open Cash App.
- Tap on the profile icon.
- Tap on "Linked Banks".
- Click on "Link Credit Card".
- Now, enter your "Amex gift card number, Expiry date, CVV, security code and ZIP code".
- Click on "Add Card" to successfully add your Amex gift card.
Since Cash App only supports reloadable prepaid cards that have been verified by the card issuer and has American Express, Visa, Discover, Mastercard logo in the front side, you will have to call Amex gift card's customer care and verify the card with ID, SSN to make it reloadable.
You might want to check out this article on How to add a bank account to Cash App.
How to Withdraw Amex Gift Card to Bank Account from Cash App:
- Open Cash App.
- Navigate to "Balance".
- Click on "Cash Out" button.
- Choose your Amex gift card to withdraw.
- Click on Continue.
- Type in the amount you want to transfer and then choose your bank.
- Review your details and then press Transfer now.
3. Via Linking Gift Card to PayPal Account
PayPal is one of the most well known online money transfer services and as a PayPal user, you can link gift cards to PayPal and then get money from the Amex gift card to bank account.
How to Add Amex Gift Card to PayPal:
- Login with your PayPal credentials.
- Navigate to your PayPal dashboard.
- Move to "My Wallet".
- Click on "Link a credit or debit card".
- Enter your "Amex Gift Card Number. Expiry date and CVV security code".
- Tap on 'Link Card" to successfully link Amex card.
As soon as the gift card is added to a PayPal account, you can transfer funds to a bank account. Below are the steps involved to link a bank account account and withdraw gift card balance.
How to Add a Bank Account to PayPal:
Below are the steps involved in linking a bank account from PayPal.com.
- Go to Wallet.
- Click on "Link a bank".
- Search for your bank and select it from your bank list.
- Use your bank login credentials in order to add a bank account.
- Click on "Agree and Link" in order to proceed.
How to Withdraw or Deposit Amex Gift Card to Bank Account:
- Login to your PayPal account.
- Navigate to "My Wallet".
- Click on "Transfer/Withdraw" button.
- Choose "Transfer to a Bank Account".
- Select your bank to deposit or withdraw.
- Tap on Continue.
- Enter the amount to transfer and then tap Next.
- Review your details and then click Transfer Now.
4. Via Apple Pay
Just like the above mentioned financial institutions, your Amex gift card can be added to Apple Pay safely and conveniently. You can follow the steps below in order to add your Amex Gift card to Apple Pay:
- Launch Apple Pay Wallet from iPhone apps.
- Click on "+" icon.
- Click on "credit or debit card" from payment cards option.
- A screen will pop up to scan your Amex Gift card to add. You can use the scan feature or do it manually.
- Tap on "Enter card details Manually" in case you choose to add it manually.
- Type in your "Name, Amex Gift card Number, Expiry Date and CVV security code".
- Now Click Next.
- Accept all Terms and Conditions in order finalize the process.
How to Add a Bank Account to Apple Pay:
Below are steps to follow in order to add a bank account to Apple Pay.
- Launch "Wallet app" on your iPhone.
- Tap on your previously added Amex Card.
- Click on "︙" which represents the Menu icon.
- Navigate to "Bank Account" and click on it.
- Click "Add a Bank Account".
- Follow the on screen instruction to add it successfully.
How to Withdraw Amex Gift Card to Bank Account from Apple Pay:
- On your iPhone, open the Wallet app.
- Click on your previously added AMEX Card.
- Tap on "︙" which represents the Menu icon.
- Then tap on "Transfer to Bank"
- Enter your amount.
- Tap 1-3 business days.
- Now all you have to do is confirm the transfer with Face ID, Touch ID, or Passcode.
How to Cash Out American Express Gift Card
In case you have an unwanted AMEX gift card, you are able to convert it to cash easily and later on deposit it into your bank account or simply use it for your in-store purchases.
- Request for a Refund.
- Take Help from local Laws.
- Add Amex Gift Card to Digital Wallet.
- Sell Gift Card.
- Buy a Money Order.
- Use Gift Card Exchange Kiosks
- Obtain help from Merchants.
Final Thoughts on How to Transfer Money From Amex Gift Card to Bank Account
A gift card is one of the best ways you can consider to give money to your friends or relatives without an envelope of cash. In case you want to give the Amex gift card to someone, you can apply for a gift card from a merchant.
If your friend or relative receives the gift card and wants to instead transfer the funds to his/her bank account, you can recommend him/her to read this article which will make it easier for the person to make a successful transfer.
Hope you found this article helpful you? let us know in the comment section if you encounter any issue.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Send Money Fromm Gift Card to Cash App?
Actually, there is no clear way which one can use to send money from gift card to Cash App. But there are some indirect ways which you can use to transfer money from Visa gift card to Cash App.
Can I transfer Money from Gift Card to Bank Account?
Yes, all you have to do is to link a PayPal or Venmo account to your gift card and then transfer the amount to a bank account.
Where Can I Use American Express Gift Card?
You can use your Amex gift at several locations which include; CVS Pharmacy, Family Dollar, Rite Aid, Samsclub, Walmart, Target, Home Depot, and many others.
What stores Accept Amex Gift Card?
Here are the stores that accepts Amex gift card; Aldi, AllSaints, All-battery.com, Walgreens, Walmart, etc.
Can You Withdraw Money From American Express Card?
Yes you can withdraw money from American Express card but not directly. You can follow the steps above in this article to know how to go about this.
Can I withdraw money from Amex at an ATM?
No, Amex gift card balances cannot be withdrawn at ATMs.
Does Amazon Accept Amex Gift Cards?
Yes, you will find out that Amex gift cards are usable in most Amazon purchases.
Does Walmart sell Amex Gift Card?
Yes Walmart sells only $50 Amex gift cards.