A scam is a deceptive scheme or trick used to cheat someone out of something, especially money. Scam is also a verb meaning to cheat someone in such a way. Example: Banks will never call you asking for your credit card number or social security number over the phone.
Actually, it should be noted that there is no way for you to obtain back your money on cash app if scammed unless the person that scammed you is willing to give you back your funds.
This is because all cash app payments are instantaneous and to request a refund, you can open the transaction for which you want your funds back and then click on the three dots and then Refund and click OK.
Once you send the payment to person that is suppose to receive it, it is not possible to cancel it as once you have send the funds, the recipients receives it right away.
I believe many users on Cash App are always on the hunt to know how you can get your money back money back on cash app if scammed, well in this article I am going to show you how you can go about this and also how to file a dispute.
Unfortunately for all cash users, cash app payments are not protected from fraud and it can be so challenging for you to get your money back. Even though it can be challenging, there are still options that you can follow so as to get your money back after scam.
The chances of a pending transaction are low and you are not able to cancel a sent transaction. But in case you ae lucky and the recipient has not accepted your charges, you can cancel the transaction by following the steps below:
- Open cash app on your tablet or smartphone
- Then select "Activity Tab" in order to view all your cash app transactions
- Find and tap the transaction that you want to cancel
- A pop up window will have to ".." to its top right hand corner
- Tap on " Cancel Payment"
- Then select so as to confirm the cancellation.
Table of Contents
Can You Get a Refund on Cash App if Scammed?
If you have been scammed on cash app, you can ask for a refund from the payment activity. But for this, it is entirely up to the person to refund your money or not. In case your transaction is still pending, you can locate your specific payment in the activity tab and cancel it.
It is of no doubt that some recipients will not refund the money but legitimate merchants will surely refund your money.
Once your transaction is been shown as completed, when you get scammed, you can no longer cancel them but here is what you can do about that.
You can Request a Refund on Cash App
In other to request a refund on cash app, you can follow the steps below
- You have to open the cash app on your tablet or smartphone
- And the choose the "Activity tab" so as to view all your cash app transactions
- Then choose the transaction that you want a refund for
- Tap on the 3 dotted icon to the top right hand corner of your screen
- Click refund
- Then you have to confirm your request
But you should note that the chances that this method will get you your money back is slim due to the fact that naturally scammers will not agree to refund you, after all it is worth trying.
There are more chances that you will receive a refund if the other party is a legitimate merchant because it is a requirement by the app.
More to that, you might be asking yourself how long this process will take. After you have made your request of funds, it is recommended that you wait for at least 10 business days so as to give them a large range of time to get back to you.
You will see your funds appear in your cash app balance right away if you are being refund but if the recipient does not get back to you, you can contact Cash app's customer support team.
When going about this, you should also have in mind that cash app is under no obligation to have your money refunded.
The only refund policy that cash app has is that of the Cash app Merchant refund, which is when you make a faulty payment.
ALSO READ: Random Person Sent Me Money On Cash App (Here's What To Do)
What to do If Scammed on Cash App?
As soon as the payment has been completed on cash App, there is nothing you can do again that guarantees the fact that you will get back your money. But there are certain things that you can do in order to have chances of getting your money back if scammed on Cashapp.
1. You can Report the Transaction to Cash App
In case you have made a request of refund and it gets refused, you can try another method by taking the matter to cash app's support team and in order to do that, you need to file a dispute
- Open cash app on your smartphone
- Then move to the "Activity tab" in order to view all your cash app transactions
- Choose the transaction that you want to report
- Press the 3 dotted icon that you will see at the top right hand corner of the screen
- Choose " Need Help & Cash App support"
- And then click on "Dispute This transaction
Once you have done this, the cash app support team is going to investigate your dispute and decide if there is a scam or not.
Still you will have to note that cash app is not still likely to refund you as cash app is not is not legally bound to refund you since they are not FDIC insured.
Even though the team may not be of help in getting your money back, your claim can help protect you and other users against scams in the future.
Am sure you may wonder why Cash App doesn’t enforce more effective refund policies than the Cash App Merchant Refund policy. Well, this is because the app isn’t designed for businesses or sending money to strangers in the first place.
Instead, this peer-to-peer money transfer platform is supposed to allow you and your friends to send and receive money to each other. As for online purchases, PayPal and some money apps are safer.
2. Report the Transaction to the Government
Another way to go about scams is by reporting the transaction to the Federal Trade commission or the internet Crime Complaint Center but first of all, you will need to approve this organization with as much information as possible, such as
- Your name and address
- Your email address and phone number
- Your bank/cash app information
- The date of the transaction
- The amount of the transaction
- The type of transaction
- The scam type
- The details of the situation
You should note that you do not file such a report in order to get your money back but instead, this is to help organizations fight fraud.
3. Try to Cancel the Payment
If you catch the scam quickly enough, you can try to cancel the transfer.
Go to your activity tab and look for the fraudulent payment. If you see the option to “Cancel” it, that means that the scammer hasn’t finalized the transfer. Select “Cancel” immediately, and you should get your money back.
4. Inform Your Bank About the Fraud
Next, contact your bank’s fraud department and explain what happened. They may suggest that you close your current bank account (to stop further fraud) and get set up with a new one.
You can also file a dispute for the transaction with your bank if you’ve linked your Cash App account to a debit card or credit card.
5. Report the transaction as a scam
Now that you’ve done everything in your power to try and get your money back, it’s time to report the scammer. Open Cash App, tap your profile icon, and then select “Support” and “Report a Payment Issue.” Select the scam payment in question and follow the prompts.
ALSO READ: How To Stop Automatic Payments On Cash App
How to Avoid Scams on Cash App
From all indications, we have all seen that in most of the cases, the chances are very slim that you can obtain a refund when you are being scammed so the best thing to do is to take as many measures as possible to avoid being scammed. And here are the method that I suggest so as to help you avoid being scammed.
- You can link your cash app account to a credit card for an added layer of protection.
- Do not cultivate the habit of sending money to people that you do not know and trust.
- Do not accept cash app request from people that you know without confirming that it was actually them who made the request and not a hacker.
- Do not practice purchasing products from businesses that accept money only via cash app because they might be scammers.
- Be wary of individuals that offer you free money or promise to double or triple your money cause they are always scammers.
How Do You Report a Scam to Cash App and Dispute the Transaction?
Scammers are not known for returning the money they have stolen unless they are forced to do so in one way or the other.
If a business can't demonstrate that they delivered the goods or services you paid for, you can dispute the transaction to force them to refund your money.
Only after contacting the business and asking for a refund using Cash App and not being successful should users file grievances. In that situation, take the actions listed below to report the fraud and challenge the transaction:
- Log in to Cash App.
- Tap on the clock icon in the top right-hand corner of the screen to view recent account activity.
- Locate the fraudulent transaction and tap on it.
- Tap the icon that looks like three small dots.
- Tap on the “Need Help & Cash App Support” option.
- Tap “Dispute Transaction.”
- Fill out all fields, answering all questions as accurately as possible to complete the dispute request.
The Cash App team will look at the claim after you've filed the dispute. The team frequently forwards the allegation to the Visa network for additional inquiry. In order to obtain proof of the promised goods or service and the actual product or service delivered, Visa contacts the merchant on the other side of the transaction.
Visa will decide whether the transaction was a valid payment for goods or services after conducting a comprehensive investigation. Cash App will credit the customer's account in full with a refund if Visa determines that the user didn't obtain the promised good or service.
Final Thoughts: How to Get Money Back On Cash App If Scammed
So in conclusion, we can say that you getting back your money from a scammer is not likely because cash app does not offer that type of user protection to its customers. And also in this article, you have a seen a couple of ways that can help you regain back your funds on cash app when scammed so is left to you to try these methods in case you are a victim of these fraudulent doers.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Cash App refund money if scammed?
Yes, Cash App will typically reimburse money to victims of fraud. Users who have been scammed should access their Cash App accounts, find the bogus transaction, and report it by opening a dispute.
How do I report a scammer on Cash App?
Please contact support via your app or at cash. app/help to report the incident if you receive a suspicious social media message, email, text message, phone call, or phone call regarding the Cash App. Cash App will look into the situation and intervene if necessary.