In case your Case was hacked and you are looking for every possible ways to get your funds back, then here is the correct article for you.
Cash App is a popular payment service in the United States and United Kingdom. With millions of payments that occur within the app, it is a huge target for hackers and other con artist.
Maintaining your account login details safe from malicious persons is vital to help you maintain a healthy financial life on the platform.
Nevertheless, If you mistakenly shared your account details and your Cash App got hacked, then there still exist a few things you can do which might help you recover your funds.
With that said, In this article we will discuss what to do if your Cash App is hacked.
Table of Contents
Can Someone Hack My Account On Cash App?
Yes, someone can hack your account on Cash App.
In order to ensure users account safety from hackers, Cash App makes use of an advances fraud detection system, encryption, and security.
Though Cash App has well established security measures, some users still end up being hacked because they disclose their account details to con Artist.
Once you share any important information regarding your account via social media or phishing emails, you stand higher chances of your Cash App account being hacked.
Unlike what many Cash App users think, a hacker cannot easily get access to your account by just having your $Cashtag or username since these details are used mainly for receiving money through the Cash App.
In one way or the other, hackers can still make use of the above information and then try to get more of your account information from you.
To have a better understanding as regard to this, here is an article on How can someone hack your Cash App with your name, username or $Cashtag.
My Cash App Was Hacked What Do I Do?
If your Cash App account got hacked, there is not much you can do on your side to recover it. The best thing you can do is simply contact both Cash App Support and your Financial institution to save your finances.
Below, I will show you the 3 things you can consider doing to get your money back on Cash App If hacked.
1. Contact Cash App Support
Once your money gets stolen from Cash App, the very first thing you should do is to contact Cash App support.
Even if Cash App support cannot directly help you recover your funds, they are able to guide you on the steps that will help you get your funds back.
There are two ways to contact Cash App support:
In the app:
- Open the Cash App and tap the profile icon in the top right corner (You will have to use a new one since your account was hacked).
- Tap Support.
- Tap Start a Chat and send a message.
- Call 1-800-969-1940.
- Follow the prompts to speak to a representative.
- Cash App support is available Monday through Friday, from 9:00am to 7:00pm EST.
Before you contact Cash App, you need to be prepared to provide your Cash App username, email address and phone number. Also you need to have a detailed description of your issue ready.
ALSO READ: How To Reset Cash App PIN Without SSN
2. Dispute The Transaction
Another way that can help you recover your funds is filing a dispute for a fraudulent transaction.
This method is most effective when the thieves use Cash App to shop to shop at a merchant.
Below are the steps on How to File a dispute on Cash App:
- Tap the "Activity" tab on your Cash App home screen.
- Select the said transaction and then tap the ... in the top right corner of the screen.
- Choose "Need Help & Cash App Support".
- Press "Dispute this Transaction".
ALSO READ: What Time Does Cash App Direct Deposit Hit
3. Contact Your Financial Institution
Here is the last but not the least step you can take especially if the above methods do not work for you. Contact your financial institution and report fraudulent activity on your account and then seek their help in recovering your money.
In case your Cash App is linked with your bank account, then you can simply go to your bank account and then request to get in contact with their fraud department. As soon as you get in touch with them, tell them everything that happened and hopefully, they might help you recover your funds.
You might probably be asked to provide more information to ensure that you are the real and actual owner of the account in question. They will now investigate and hopefully, you will get your money back.
How Do You Know If Your Cash App Was Hacked
Here are a few signs that shows that your Cash App account has been hacked:
- You receive a notification that you have made a payment which you did not even authorize.
- You receive a suspicious email or text from Cash App.
- You observe unusual activity in your Cash App account, such as change in your account balance or the addition of a new payment method.
- You see unauthorized charges on your Cash App statement.
- You can no longer get into your Cash App account.
What To Do After Recovering Your Hacked Cash App
Once you have succeeded in recovering your hacked Cash App account, there are some things you need to do so that your account should be safe for use again.
1. Reset Your PIN
There very first thing you need to do after recovering your hacked Cash App account is to reset your Cash App PIN.
The hacker probably knows your Cash App PIN already reason why he got access to your account and carried out transaction without your authorization, so resetting your password is essential to render your account safe for use.
Below are the steps to follow in order to reset your Cash App PIN:
- Open Cash App on your mobile phone.
- Tap the profile icon you see on your Cash App home screen.
- Choose "Privacy & security"
- Press "Change Cash PIN".
- Confirm your new PIN now.
2. Always Monitor Your Account
If you have ever been victim of a Cash App scam or hack, then it is essential that you always monitor your account because the con artist will always come up with new strategies to steal your money.
I will advise you to keep a close eye more precisely on the activity feed since that is where you get the history to all transactions taking place within your account.
As an additional security measure, I will recommend that you develop the habit of changing your PIN regularly.
3. Enable Two-Factor Authentication On Linked Email
In case you do not know, the Two-Factor authentication, or 2FA, is simply an additional layer of protection used to ensure the security of online accounts beyond just a username and password.
Since the arrival of 2FA, it has played a major role in avoiding most cyber crimes and maintaining online integrity.
If you have been using most services with your email, then you should probably be familiar with 2FA.
How to Keep My Cash App Account Safe From Hackers
Here are some tips on how to keep your Cash App account safe from hackers:
- Enable Security Lock. This feature requires you to enter a PIN or use Touch ID or Face ID to make payments, send money, or withdraw cash.
- Enable notifications. This way, you'll be alerted to any suspicious activity on your account.
- Keep your Cash App up to date. Cash App regularly releases updates that patch security vulnerabilities.
- Only send money to people you know and trust. Be wary of requests for money from strangers, even if they claim to be from Cash App support.
- Never share your Cash App PIN, sign-in code, or other sensitive information with anyone.
Final Thoughts: My Cash App Was Hacked What Do I Do
It's crucial to take immediate action to secure your account and minimize any potential damage.
Remember, it's vital to take swift action when dealing with a hacked account. Cash App's customer support team will be your main point of contact to address the issue and resolve any fraudulent transactions. They have access to your account details and can assist you in securing your account and potentially recovering any lost funds.
I hope these general steps help you navigate the situation with your hacked Cash App account. If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to ask in the comment section.